It is found at the central square of Pyrgos and it is the Metropolis of the city. In 1885 it was destroyed by the earthquakes, while the first work for its reconstruction was held in May 1889.In 1904 the municipality of Pyrgos decided the donation of 4 thousands of drachmas for the completion of the temple. Finally the temple was inaugurated in 1906, presence of Metropolitan Ilias.
St. Kyriaki is the oldest church of Pyrgos. It is of gothic rhythm and maintains its characteristics even in our days. Hagiographies of the important Zakynthian Tambakis exist in its interior.
The church of Saint Charalampos was built during the Ottoman domination era by the family Vilaeti. Saint Charalampos constitutes the patron saint of the city of Pyrgos, since, according to tradition, he saved the city from the danger of plague. At the point where the epidemic stopped, the small church of Saint Charalampos was built.The picture of the Saint is kept in the temple, which was granted in 1687 by the family Vilaeti, who had brought it with them from Bela Ipeirou. Since 1946 Saint Charalampos is officially celebrated as patron saint of our city.
The church of Saint Athanassios was built according to Ziller plans. It is built on one of the seven hills of the region. Ioannis Liourdis played an important role in its manufacture, since he was the major benefactor. The miraculous picture of Virgin Mary is kept in the temple.
The Abbey Skafidia is found hardly 10 km away from Pyrgos and close to the clear blue waters of the Ionian Sea, at the mouth of the river Iardanos. The visitor will remain speechless gazing from far the medieval fortress that surrounds it. The monastery of Virgin Mary of Skafidiotissas, from which it took its name, was built in the 10th century A. D.