It is a two-storey remarkable neoclassic building with an underground and indoor patio, which was built round 1890. In the first years of its operation, the market was wooden. In 1889, with initiative of mayor Petros Avgerinos, the disposal of 200 thousand drachmas was decided, for the construction of a stone-built market at the same point. On 13th January 1890 the work for the manufacture of the new municipal market officially began. The study of this work was taken care of by the German architect Ziller. It is undeniably the most important preservable building of the city. It includes the whole square. It has got symmetrical elements, but its aspects are different.
The entry from the Karaiskaki Street has got three arches based above columns of Ionic rhythm. The aspect towards Eparcheio is stricter with pediments. Despite its imposingness, the building’s volume functions discreetly, with its patios and four entries, open in a neighborhood which was all once a market. The building does not have a main and secondary aspect, but four aspects to the life of the market, all the same processed, with the utilization of different elements.
The structure of the whole building, the variety of elements, the balance between simple geometry of classic departments and the arched porticos of Renaissance, make this work of Ziller one of the most remarkable buildings. It was used as a market up to the decade of 1960 when its use was abandoned. The building was renovated and transformed into a museum, which adorns the city of Pyrgos and opened its gates to the public on 16-07-2013.